Monday, September 22, 2008

The Mighty Bucs.

This summer I actually went to my first complete Pittsburgh Pirates game at PNC park. I have been incredibly out-of-touch with baseball, which has been intentional ever since they went on strike many years ago. I don't follow baseball nor do I care to as long as things are still the way they are with rediculous salaries, egos, and juiced up players who lie under oath.

Anyway...

I got to see the Bucs actually win in a 15-8 victory over the Dodgers, which is quite a miracle considering how bad of a team the Pirates truly are and have been. While the score looks impressive it was still a disappointing game despite a win. Disappointing? Yes, how could a team this bad play in one of the most amazing fields ever built? It's not really disappointing, it's embarrassing, shameful, and downright despicable. PNC park is a gorgeous ballfield that harkens back to a day and age when baseball thrived and coursed through the veins of any American. And yet, today we get players that don't really care that much, collect their insanely undeserved paycheck, and yet people still watch these bums play. It's embarrassing to see a team this bad and while they may have won this particular game a field this good deserves a team that is also good, or at least one that is trying to rebuild. The Pirates are simply a recruiting station for the rest of the league it seems.

I couldn't believe just how out of touch I have been and this year the Pirates will tie the record for the longest consecutive losing season....for shame. I saw several t-shirts that day that even mocked just how bad the pirates are, the two that I recall were something like:

"I am used to disappoint....I'm a Pirates fan"

"The Pittsburgh Pirates: Rebuilding since 1993"

Our Pittsburgh Pirates are so bad that they are not only a laughing stock to the entire league, but to fans...it's that bad. We are actually 'proud' of just how bad we are! I guess in the many years since I followed the sport nothing really has changed and it doesn't look like it's going to change anytime soon either. In the meantime, I'll watch the only REAL team that Pittsburgh has, THE PENS!

No comments: