Wednesday, February 27, 2008

3:10 to YUMA - The Remake...


Two actors that I really enjoy are Russell Crowe and Christian Bale, but 3:10 To Yuma (the remake) unfortunately cannot be saved by either talent. I wanted to like this film, I really did, in fact I not only had high hopes, but I was certain that I would love it. So where did it go wrong? Well, despite being beautifully shot and set against a great Western backdrop the unfortunate demise of this film was flat-out silliness. Yes, I said it ...silliness. The characters in this film do things that just don't make sense. I can take a bit of this and I don't mind needing a crane to suspend my disbelief, but there is nothing more annoying than characters doing things that are just nonsense. Then the film becomes highly predictable and while it tries to parallel the original 1957 film, the ending twists it up a bit and makes sense overall, but by this point in time I was just disappointed and really couldn't care for any of the characters left in the film. I think character development was severely lacking quite a bit, although that does seem to be a lost art in Hollywood these days, but this film tries to blur the lines of good and bad a bit too much and no one wants to watch a film without someone to root for, regardless of whether they are good or bad, we need to know who we want on our side. So, alas 3:10 to Yuma, I won't be taking that train anytime soon. 5/10

No comments: